Monday, January 17, 2022

Treason: The Roswell Women

 

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Week 2  (Jan 11-17)

Prompt: Favorite Find

#52ancestors

 

My favorite find always seems to be the last new piece of information that I found, but they don't come very often any more as I reach further and further into the past. 

 Last summer I was not really researching but playing around with Google when I came across a FindAGrave notice for Margaret (Sumner) Wood.  She is my husband's 3rd Great Aunt, so not a close relation at all, but the information on her FindAGrave was interesting enough that I spent hours researching the historical event that it mentions and how she fit into the family.

 Margaret Sumner, her daughters, and mother, Mary Ann "Polly" (Smith) Sumner were arrested for treason by William T. Sherman in July 1864. They were working in a textile mill in Roswell, Georgia making uniforms for the Confederate Army while their husband and father was fighting in the Civil War.  

 By some accounts, 249 women and children were arrested and shipped by train to Kentucky.  Margaret and her mother, Mary Ann died while in route.  Margaret's daughters Lucinda Elizabeth "Lizzie, Easter, and Mary Ann "Molley" survived the train trip.  At the end of the war, they were not given any help in returning to Roswell, GA. The daughters remained in Kentucky and married men from that area since they didn't have the means to return to Georgia.  Some of the ladies who were arrested eventually did move back to Georgia with their Kentucky husbands.  Many of the other women, remarried without knowing if their husbands survived the war and remained in Kentucky.  Many of the husbands returned to Roswell apparently unable to find their wives and/or daughters, remarried and had another family.

 Margaret (Sumner) Wood is the daughter of Benjamin and Mary "Polly" (Smith) Sumner, my husband's 4th Great Grandparents. 

There is a book related to this event that I am trying to track down.  For more information there are several accounts on the internet, including one at:  https://www.americancivilwarforum.com/charged-with-treason-the-plight-of-the-roswell-women-472.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ezekiel McCarley

One of my goals this year is to write biographies of ancestors on my McCarley line when I can't think of anything to write for the 52anc...