Monday, January 24, 2022

Golightley Blacksmith Shop

 

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Week 3  (Jan 18-24)

Prompt: Favorite Photo

#52ancestors

Last year for the Favorite Photo, I chose to share pictures of my maternal grandparents. I thought it only fair to share a favorite picture from my paternal side this year.

From the time people graduated from foot power to horsepower, my ancestors have been involved in transportation.  My great grandfather, Robert, was a blacksmith. The first time I saw a picture of him, he was standing in front of his blacksmith shop with his two sons, George and Robert and my father, Leeland.

Blacksmiths made a wide range of items from kitchen utensils to architectural hardware and even farm equipment.  Most of us think of blacksmiths making horse shoes, although blacksmiths who predominately shoe horses or oxen are called farriers.  I have always thought it interesting that as transportation moved from horses to the early vehicles like Model Ts, my family went from blacksmiths to mechanics.  My Grandfather and Father were mechanics and truck drivers most of their lives. 

Below is a picture of my Great Grandfather's blacksmith shop which states he also does wagon wood work.  From left to right are Donald Wilcox Golightley (my Grand Uncle), Johnnie Golightley (my Grandfather), Leeland Johnston Golightley (my Father), and Robert Johnston Golightley (my Great Grandfather).




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ezekiel McCarley

One of my goals this year is to write biographies of ancestors on my McCarley line when I can't think of anything to write for the 52anc...