Monday, February 7, 2022

Branching Out: DNA Research

 

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Week 5  (Feb 1-7)

Prompt: Branching Out

#52ancestors

For years I resisted DNA research for multiple reasons but with the pandemic I decided to branch out using DNA research. I spent many hours watching Rootstech webinars and YouTube videos learning the possibilities of DNA research. I'm far from an expert but I was able to help a friend determine his Father and helped put him in touch with a half sibling.  I have had less success with using my husband's DNA to break down walls.

 I came close to being a stalker for his nearest match since the match did not respond to my emails.  By the time he responded, I suspected that he was adopted.  I was right, he was adopted and couldn't help break any of our research walls down.  He also didn't seem all that interested in finding out more about his biological family or sharing his DNA information with me. 

 I still have hopes that as the database expands that a new match will pop up that will help solve that problem, meanwhile I continue to learn more about DNA research and how it can help. 

 Every marriage creates another family branch for research, but finding female ancestors can be problematic. Until recent history they were pretty much considered the property of their Fathers and Spouses. They are often not named in any records. Searching wills, deeds, tax and other records are often unproductive.  If a marriage record is not found, it may be next to impossible to prove a wife's name I've been studying how Mitochondrial DNA (MtDNA) can help.

MtDNA is very stable from Mother to Daughter and is passed almost unchanged for many generations.  Looking at my migration map from Family Tree DNA, I can see where my ancestor's route branched out from other lines over thousands of years.   My female ancestors ended up in the British Isles before arriving in North America.


My Mitochondrial haplogroup is T2b27.  The main haplogroup is T but with each branch a subsection is added so that exact matches all have a shared  female ancestor thousands of years ago.  Not particularly helpful for genealogical research but interesting to see how my female ancestors have migrated over thousands of years. 

I have 7 exact haplogroup matches, 2 of which have their earliest female ancestor in Ireland.  Elizabeth Wright born in Indiana in 1816 is the earliest ancestor I have following my maternal line.  I have been unable to determine her Mother, although I know her Father is Squire James Wright.  This is obviously a place where I need to do more research and learning more about MtDNA research may help me find Elizabeth's Mother adding one more branch to the family.  

Thank you, Mic Barnette at the Dallas Public Library, for adding to my knowledge of mitochondrial research. 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ezekiel McCarley

One of my goals this year is to write biographies of ancestors on my McCarley line when I can't think of anything to write for the 52anc...