Saturday, August 22, 2020

Aunt Kitty's Flour Sifter

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Week 32
#52ancestors

Prompt: Small

Sometimes the smallest things can spark a family story.  Going through family pictures one day, I ran across a picture of Kitty Miranda Parker. In the most off hand way possible, my mother said, "oh that is Aunt Kitty. She is the one that I got my flour sifter from".  

Of course, I couldn't let that go. I already knew that Kitty Parker was Myrtle Olive Parker's sister. Ollie Parker was my Great Grandmother on my Dad's side. She was born on 18th of December 1873. I was surprised that my mom knew her. 

But she didn't really know her. My parents had not been married very long when Aunt Kitty died. My Mom went with her mother in law, Eva Golightley, to help clean out Kitty's home. As they cleaned the kitchen and packed things up, Eva came across a flour sifter and ask my Mom if she had one yet.  When Mom said no, Grandma Eva tossed it to her and said now you do. 

That flour sifter stayed in Mom's flour canister the rest of her life. My sisters and I used it when we were learning to bake.  It has a little rust and is beat up, but it holds a place of honor on a display shelf in my kitchen. 

My Great Grand Aunt
Kitty Miranda Parker (Oglesbay). (18 Dec 1873 - 1 Feb 1954)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ezekiel McCarley

One of my goals this year is to write biographies of ancestors on my McCarley line when I can't think of anything to write for the 52anc...