Saturday, March 13, 2021

Abraham McCarley

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Week 9 (March 8-14)

Prompt: Name's the Same
#52ancestors

You wouldn't think there would be too many men named Abraham McCarley.  However, in many cultures it is tradition to name the oldest son after the paternal grandfather and the second son after the maternal grandfather.  That can sometimes be a good clue in linking generations together. But if a man has 4 sons and all 4 sons name their oldest son after the grandfather, there could be as many as 5 men with the same name in the same area.

How do you separate out the men and decide  which facts go with which man?  I started with finding out who each man was married to and finding an approximate birth date.   Any stray facts that didn't belong to a known Abraham went into a different column in my Excel spreadsheet.  In the beginning, I had 7 different Abraham columns. Gradually by using a timeline, I was able to move facts from three of the columns to the other columns, narrowing my Abrahams down to just four.  All of them lived in the same general area, and moved to the next area. Sometimes their moves were as much as 5 or 6 years apart.  Sorting out the land records were easy when the wife was named with the husband, but some of the land records did not name the wife. Some of the owners of land were only determined when they died and I could see which son the land was passed to or if the wife was named in the will.

One record which I will probably never be able to assign to a particular Abraham is a newspaper article in Maury County, TN.  It states that Abraham McCarley took up a brown horse and was advertising for it's owner. In Maury County at that time, lived Abraham Sr. and his son, Abraham Jr. as well as Abraham, Sr's grandson, Abraham (son of Thomas T).  It probably wasn't the son of Thomas T as he was only about 13 at the time. But was it Abraham Sr or Abraham Jr.?

Any time I have trouble sorting out a genealogy problem, I resort to Excel.  If you haven't used it to solve a problem yet, I recommend it.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ezekiel McCarley

One of my goals this year is to write biographies of ancestors on my McCarley line when I can't think of anything to write for the 52anc...